Eli has been having nightmares here and there lately, and they seem to be recurring... He comes into our room at some point almost every night, and some of the time will tell us that he is scared because of a "scary tree" that has either fallen on him or chased him. One night last week, he uncharacteristically got up and started wandering the dark hallway, sobbing. When Brad went to get him, he got hysterical (also unusual since he usually comes to Brad when he wakes up in the night). I got up and was able to comfort him and take him back to his own bed, where he fell asleep. The next morning I talked to him about it. I pointed out that he had been crying in the night because he was scared, and I asked if he remembered why... this is the story I got:
There was a big, scary tree. And I was alone. And I was sad, because I can't find you. Then at last, I was home. And you were sleeping in the bed! (Eli, age 3 yrs 3 months).
I could not contain my giggles at his exceptional re-telling! I of course have sympathy for him, because I was plagued by nightmares and fear of the dark throughout my childhood (probably until 12 or so!) - I think it comes from an active imagination. Anyway, I really don't know what initiated the scary tree, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it!
***Edited to Add: I didn't make it clear in the first paragraph that Eli is NOT having nightmares every night... he IS coming into our room every night, but I think just because he gets cold or lonely or what have you.... what I mean by recurring nightmare is that when he does have them, it's always about this said tree. So yes, I feel bad for him for having any night time fear, but at the moment it is not at all excessive. What most struck me about this dream was how he narrated it, which I thought was funny.
14 years ago


2 comments:
poor little guy, that is so scarry for little ones! I had night terrors as a kid, I dont remember much but they were very scarry when you had them!
nightmares are the worst. and what are you talking about, until 12 or so?! i'm STILL scared of the dark. and have scary dreams. poor eli! this is one of those things that as a mother i wish i could keep my children from all together.
Post a Comment