I've been reading this amazing blog written by a woman who has raised 11 kids (she's the mother of a friend of a friend) ... she has some wonderful insights on raising children lovingly - connecting with them and helping them build their own internal moral compass without harsh discipline. Much of what she says flies in the face of many "mainstream" techniques (ie. Supernanny, Love and Logic etc), but it definitely makes sense and resonates with the desires I have to parent in this way... I often seem to lack the actual know-how to follow through with my "ideal," and so far I have found a lot of inspiring things on here. The best part is that it's written in a Q&A format, so you can actually write in specific questions if you want. Here is one sample of something she wrote today:
Motherhood took on a whole new meaning for me when I adopted a more proactive approach that was based on some basic goals. The two goals that I have as I raise little children are 1) to preserve and strengthen our relationship and 2) to develop their deep, inner feelings of right and wrong. When your children emerge from these early years and become teen-agers, you will want to have firmly established those two things. It isn’t the easiest method of parenting. It takes constant thought and focus. The focus is on building a strong bond of love, helping children to succeed at what you ask them to do, and teaching instead of constant disciplining.
Physical discipline is destructive when you consider both of those goals. Not only does it damage the relationship, but it absolves a child of responsibility for what they’ve done. They have paid for the crime so there is no need to feel sorrow for it. At best, it is a deterrent—and if our goal is just to produce acceptable outward behavior, then it’s useful. The motivation will be fear of punishment. But our goal is to develop our child from the inside out—the motivation being a desire to be good.
So if you have the desire to parent more lovingly, or just want some good ideas from a wise woman who has been in your shoes, click on over to Asking Jane!!!!!
14 years ago


4 comments:
My friend just referred me to that blog yesterday, and I spent a good chunk of last night reading through it. AWESOME STUFF. I'm so glad to have that!
I sent my mom a link to your post=) I know your nice words will mean a lot to her. She loves doing it, especially when she hears that it's helpful to others.
She have any good teaching ideas? I wish I could teach in this way too. I try, but I have 120 "kids." I hate punitive motivators. The kids don't care enough and they don't work. I would love to find a way to really bring this into my classrooms also, not just home :)
I clicked on the link yesterday afternoon after reading through your latest blog posts. I loved it! I have to admit, having 3 is getting more challenging now that we're not quarantined all the time and I have to get everyone out the door to go places. I've been getting frustrated with the boys. I loved all her advice (and it made me want to ask her a bunch of questions)! I think it helped me handle Evan's wanderings from bed (see my latest blog post) with love and laughter rather than frustration last night. Thanks for passing along the link!
Post a Comment