Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dumpster Diving

I couldn't find my cell phone the other day, so I used Brad's phone to call it. It took me a few minutes to locate the ringing - it was coming from the bottom of our deep kitchen garbage can. Owen has been fascinated with opening and closing the garbage can lately, but I hadn't realized he was throwing things in it! While rescuing my phone, I also came across a few of the kids' balls, stuffed animals and cars down in there, which got me thinking.... we'd been missing a few wooden balls from their pound and roll toy, so this morning I went through the full bag of garbage that had already been placed in the garage. Sifting through smelly garbage in search of mystery lost items is really not my idea of a party! The good news is, I found the balls - along with a bib, some of MY socks, eye shadow, some cars, a bird, wooden farm beads, and a necklace. The bad news is, I think I finally know what happened to our Cars and Thomas Train dvds, as well as two more pound and roll balls that have been gone for a while.... I think those are gone forever in the dump somewhere! So now my kitchen garbage is up on top of the counter until I can get something to secure the lid with. Good times!


Though I don't have pictures for this one, Owen's other fixation is the toilet... apparently he has seen me rinsing cloth diapers in it because he keeps throwing clothing, rags, clean diapers, shoes, mirrors, toys and various other items in it whenever he can. He is dangerous to have in the bathroom when I'm trying to help Eli use the toilet, because that's inevitably when he gets to it while I'm tied up helping his brother. Mischevious is his middle name!

3 comments:

Chris and Michelle said...

Oh my heck that is too funny. Well I guess I can laugh because it isn't ME digging through the garbage... :) Glad you found some of your mysteriously missing items before they were gone forever!
Those little 18 month olds... they sure keep us on our toes. My garbage is locked up with child locks under my cupboard or Emmie would be constantly into it... she's always into something off limits... :)!

Bridget said...

That is hilarious. You are a better woman than I am to actually go through the trash!

Mrs. Slabbert said...

Time for a toybox... Maybe you can divert his energies there :) hehe