Poop was another story, however. For the first three weeks, he pooped in his underwear every single day. He would always hide when he did it, and refuse any of my attempts to get him to try on the potty. We promised him Hiro the train (from Thomas and Friends) if he did it, and finally one day I just happened to catch him mid-business and he was able to have a small success on the potty. We jumped for joy, high-fived, called daddy and grandma, ate chocolate, and drove to the store to buy his train.... then he felt like he had achieved his goal and quit trying again for nearly two weeks!
Then one day the stars aligned or something and I happened to get him on the potty at the right time, and he did it! We celebrated again and immediately hung up a new "poop chart" with a picture of his next coveted train (he was of the mindset that each time he pooped he would get a train - I needed a visual for him that THIS time he needed to go more than once before getting his prize). The next couple of days involved a few accidents and a few successes, but mostly overcoming his fear of going on the potty. And finally it all clicked into place. It was like once he felt comfortable pooping on the potty, he was suddenly able to be in charge of all of his potty needs - meaning I was able to completely stop reminding him to go, and try to encourage him to go throughout the day. He now tells me whenever he needs to go, which means I have to jump up immediately from whatever I'm doing, but hey, that's ok! He still needs help with his clothes and getting up on the potty, but I'm sure that will come in time.
It's so funny to me at how watching my child learn to master the potty and being involved in helping him feels like such a major victory, but it does! And not just because I don't have to change diapers or messy undies anymore, but I feel honest, true joy at his success and seeing how proud and happy he is to have learned such a tricky process. I loved listening to him excitedly recount to his dad "first I was scared, then I was brave, then I took a deep breath like this, then it came out and I pooped!" I just love my Eli!
The Chart





3 comments:
That is too cute of a little poop story! I may halfto use thepoop chart when my time comes to potty train!! great idea
I'm so happy for you, especially knowing how much you have anguished through the process. I'm really happy that you've made it through the worst part. Congratulations to you both!
Yay! I LOVE having Lincoln potty trained too! Poop was our enemy for two months! One day it all clicked for Lincoln also! Congratulations and GREAT JOB ELI!
Post a Comment