Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mystic, Newport, Cape Cod, and Boston

I might as well keep on blogging while I wait to head over to the hospital (and Owen's still asleep). We had a fun-filled and jam-packed week last week. Brad's parents and sister Heidi came into town for vacation. They hit Boston on Monday and NYC on Tuesday (talk about ambitious!) and then we hit the road with them on Wednesday. Much thanks to Brad's dad for renting a van so we could all ride together. Eli got a huge kick out of riding in Ga-pa's van! WARNING: Lot and lots of pictures coming - but this is trimmed down from the 200+ that I took!

Wednesday - Mystic
On Wednesday we drove down to Mystic, CT and went to the Aquarium there. What a treat! I only recently found out this place existed. They have 3 Beluga Whales there in a large tank. Eli was mesmerized, and so were we. It really is magical to see creatures like that up close. It just reminds me what an expansive and beautiful world Heavenly Father has blessed us with. We also got to see Sea Lions, Sharks, and Sting Rays among other things. This time around, Eli was taken with the Sting Rays. They have been on his mind lately (pretending wash cloths in the bathtub are sting rays) and when he saw a whole tank of them he couldn't leave. He sat there watching the Rays glide around for probably a half an hour. We had a hard time getting him to look at other things. We also got to feed and pet the Rays, which Eli wouldn't do himself but had a total blast watching us. Those little Rays were actually kind of cute - really smooth and soft and very enthusiastic about getting fish. When you'd put a hand in the water with a fish in it, they'd all come swimming over and flop around - even coming up out of the water! It was pretty great. Grandma B. got Eli a stuffed Sting Ray to remember the day, and he still loves it. That night we drove to Newport, RI and stayed in a hotel (all 7 of us crowded in one room - our family of 4 in a Queen bed!!! Don't know if that was the best idea, but we survived it).


Thursday - Newport and The Cape
Newport, RI is known for the U.S. Polo Team, the Mansions, and the Cliff Walk. We weren't able to get to a Polo match, but we did tour the most famous of the mansions - The Breakers. Talk about opulent! It was more like touring a castle somewhere - and just to think it was the family's SECOND home! It was owned by the Vanderbilt family, who were high society back in the Guilded Age. I thought the exterior and the grounds were impressive - I especially loved the huge lawn and view of the ocean. But all in all, it was a little too fancy for my taste. My favorite part of the home was the second story porch that was used as an outdoor living room. And one fun fact - Ogden Codman designed some of the more understated bedrooms there - he also helped with Edith Wharton's home and wrote the book The Decoration of Houses with her, which I mentioned when we toured her home out here in the Berkshires. Too bad we weren't allowed to take photos inside the mansion though - it really was something to see! Afterwards, we took a brief stroll along the Cliff Walk, which runs right behind The Breakers house and several other mansions. There's nothing like the smell of sea air and the sound of crashing waves below!






Next, we drove out to Cape Cod and stopped at Nausset Light Beach again (one of our favorites from last year). Only this time, it was cloudy and rainy for our beach visit! Having lived in New England now for a year, we were not surprised or uncomfortable - but I think our Utah visitors were expecting a sunny day at the beach and were freezing! They didn't think to pack pants and jackets for a day at the beach, lol =). It was still so beautiful - I really think there's nothing more relaxing than kicking off your shoes and walking along the beach with the waves crashing up over your feet. Once again, my little Eli was in HEAVEN. "See the beach? See the Ocean?" was his mantra. We had to drag him kicking and screaming back into the van when it started raining again.

We picked up some dinner (Clam Chowdah and Lobster Roll - classic Cape Cod) and went to Breakwater Beach in Brewster to eat. This beach is on the bay side of The Cape (as opposed to open ocean) so the water is still and calm. Plus the tide was out, so it was really shallow and warm. Eli ran and splashed like it was one giant puddle - he didn't care that he was wearing socks, shoes and pants either! He chased seagulls as if he could catch one, and we also got to explore some tidepools and catch crabs, hermit crabs, and snails. It was pretty rocky in that area, and Eli tripped and cut his head open on the jagged, dirty rocks. He was having too much fun to cry longer than ten seconds though! Owen also discovered the joy of squishing sand in his fists, and even tasting some.

Friday - Cape Cod and Boston The next day was even more rainy and chilly than before, but we steeled ourselves and headed off to Nausset Beach. We had fun digging in the sand, throwing rocks into the waves, and watching the seals swim around just off shore. We had the beach to OURSELVES! I guess not everyone is into hanging out by the ocean in bad weather. There were a few brave surfers out there though.




When we'd had enough (is it possible to get enough of the ocean??) we packed it up and drove north to Boston. We made a quick visit to Quincy Market for some shopping and icecream, then walked over to the New England Aquarium to watch the Harbor Seals in their outdoor exhibit (ie. FREE). We put the kids in their matching Shark PJ's (thanks Grandma K. for sending those) for the 3 hour drive home. They were both zonked long before we got home. What a great way to spend one of our last weeks here in New England! Eli has been asking to "find the beach" ever since.

2 comments:

Chris and Michelle said...

Jeanine, I am so glad you have such an adventurous life and that you are nice enough to share it on your blog so that boring people like me can live vicariously through YOU! LOL
It sounds like Eli was truly in heaven on this excursion! It is so adorable that he is so in love with his whales and sea life. I just love it!
The poor little guy having his tubes put in... I hope all went well today!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY btw...7 years.. CRAZY! Chris and I are approaching NINE--- are we really that old??? I guess I just got married young! :)
Love that you watched the Bachelorette. I was so sad that Ed left. Stupid Wes needs to go. I can't believe she even falls for his ploys. I guess I kind of like Reid? Kiptyn maybe too but I am still trying to figure out his personality. What do you think?
K sorry for my forever comments... just one more question. Are you still trying to rent out your house in AZ? I know of a family looking to rent there...let me know. :)

Carly said...

WOW! I agree with Michelle. I am living my life through you guys. I wish we could do some of those adventurous things :)

I LOVE the picture of you in your black shirt in front of the green lawn. You look amazing!

And... I too am a HUGE Bachelorette fan! I watch it religiously every Monday night. I was sad that Ed left too, but if his career is more important, he doesn't deserve Jillian. I think that Wes is just a snake. Could you believe what he said on next week's preview about being on the show long enough to get publicity. Nasty nasty man. My top three from the beginning were Jake, Kiptyn, and Michael!