Brad's graduation was on Friday the 6th of June, the next day the movers came, the day after that we finished cleaning the house and went down to Tucson. We were supposed to leave Monday but ended up sticking around to tie up some loose ends (most of which were caused by the terrible movers - we don't recommend them by the way!) and to rest a bit from the hectic life we'd been living the past month. My sister drove down from Utah to make the trip with us. So, Tuesday June 10th we were off!
Day 3: Elkhart to Columbia, MO. This was a really long drive - about 11 hours total. And a lot of it was BORING! I'm so sorry, but a lot of southern Kansas, though not ugly, is just boring to drive through. It is F-L-A-T and grassy, dotted here and there by a silo or cows. Once we went through Wichita, things got a little more interesting with trees. We stayed at a motel in Columbia, which took forever to find because there was some kind of conve
ntion in town and things were booked up and expensive. We were all very tired that night but were discouraged that there were only double beds (me, Brad and Eli all in a double is tight!). So we pushed the beds together and all slept together, lol. Brad on one end, then Eli, then me, then Aubrey. One big happy fam! We hoped to see more of the town since we will be moving there next summer for the rest of Brad's residency, but there wasn't time.
ntion in town and things were booked up and expensive. We were all very tired that night but were discouraged that there were only double beds (me, Brad and Eli all in a double is tight!). So we pushed the beds together and all slept together, lol. Brad on one end, then Eli, then me, then Aubrey. One big happy fam! We hoped to see more of the town since we will be moving there next summer for the rest of Brad's residency, but there wasn't time. During the night in Columbia, it started to rain. And I mean RAIN. We had one of these roof bags on our car in order to fit everything for the trip. since our car does not have a rack, the straps that hold the bag on actually thread through the doors, inside the car. It's a good design - nice and sturdy. BUT, the straps themselves soaked with water from the rain and transferred it to the inside of our car!
Day 4: Columbia to Columbus, OH. So day 4 was the worst drive of the trip. It was a long one as well - another 11 or so hours. We had a soggy drive from the straps leaking. Eli's carseat was so wet, that he was soaked up to his armpits when we took him out at our first gas stop. We changed him and lined his seat with some dry clothes, meanwhile water just flowed in from the straps and dripped on our arms whenever we'd come to a stop! It POURED the entire drive through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and into Ohio. And I mean, torrential rain that tempted us to stop every time. Also, the cruise control on the car went out, and the DVD player stopped working (after Eli had gotten attached the last few days). Brad had to sit in the back to keep Eli entertained (I get carsick) so I ended doing most of the white knuckle driving. And since the cruise was broken and I had to maintain one position the whole time, I ended up with pretty swollen ankles that night. I was one CRANKY pregnant woman. I think Brad and Aubrey were ready to let me out to walk, lol. By the last hour I had lost my mind and was cackling uncontrollably - not a good thing when you are pregnant, stuck in the car, with a full bladder! At one point, we called my mom and had Eli talk to his ga-ma and he let her have it! He must have talked to her for 20 minutes, just jabbering on. Apparently he'd had enough of the trip that day too =). Luckily, we got to spend the night with our good friends the Demills in Ohio. It cheered us all up to have a home cooked meal, and Eli had a good time running around with the kids. For some reason I didn't get any pictures on my camera, but if I get some from my sister I'll post one! I will say of the midwest - I have never seen so many trees in my life!!!!!!!!!!! I was feeling claustrophobic even from being so surrounded!
What a beautiful sight! My sister and I had always wanted to see it since we were kids. Eli was fascinated. He kept pointing to the boats below and saying "There!" He got pretty mad when we wouldn't let him climb over the railing =).
After the falls, we headed East an
So here's to the longest and most ultimate road trip ever! Seriously, Eli outgrew his shoes on the trip. They fit when we left, and when we got here I couldn't get them on his feet. We had to buy new ones the next day. And this is the longest blog post I will ever make!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment