When we got to Missouri and I started online "window shopping," I found this gorgeous set:
But alas, even on SALE it was nearly $700 and would include shipping. I'm an HGTV fan and was convinced that I could re-create the look in no time for much less money. Well, I was right about the second part at least. As for the time it took - fast forward 4 MONTHS from date of purchase and you get how long it took. There was sanding, chemical stripping, sanding and more sanding, staining, stripping off the stain, staining again, then finally a few coats of polyurethane. There were times when I definitely regretted getting started, but now that it's done, I'm pleased. It's nowhere near perfect, but I like it. The table is a solid OAK piece I snagged off Craigslist, and the chairs are Walmart.com purchases. The total cost for the table, chairs, and refinishing supplies totaled under $300. So all in all, a good deal eh? What do you think?
AFTER



This is just a picture of my kitchen (the table would be behind me while taking this picture). But you see that lovely black stove hood (metal thing above stove that has light and fan, lol)? Well Brad and I just put that in this weekend - also a Craigslist purchase! The existing one was white and didn't match the kitchen... we got this "new" one for $15! Woohoo!
PS - I painted the kitchen too - all by MYSELF! It's called "Paprika" - a nice terracotta color.




8 comments:
I've been meaning to tell you I liked your paint color, so I'm glad you mentioned it! It looks great.
it looks so great! and you'll be so glad you saved yourself $400 when the kids color on the table or leave grape juice stains you can't get off. michael and i bought our house and furnished it pre-kids, so we bought a very nice, VERY EXPENSIVE dining set that we now NEVER use. because the dining room is carpeted (weird, right?) and the chairs are upholstered and the wood is gorgeous and polished and it all equals "no kids!" if you know what i mean!
ps - i have that exact same color paint in my foyer and dining room. i love it!
WOW! you would make kristen, charles, summer and the gang proud!!! I love it!!! I love the paprika kitchen as well! congrats on a job well done:)
It looks so good, you did a exelent job, you are a bargin pro I think!! keep it up
You can decorate my house.
My goodness! Your work looks great! When can you come design my house? I love your style but I can never come up with stuff like that myself! Way to go on the table. It's such a big project and it's twice as big with little kids. I'm glad you are on this end of it though! Way to go!
Fabulous! You are quite the talented DIYer! Way to go! I like your kitchen paint color! Very warm and inviting and the table/chairs look fantastic!
I'm impressed with your skills, Miss HGTV! But I already knew you were a great little decorator.
The table looks awesome and I definitely appreciate a bargain -- so way to go!!! Very impressive. Your kitchen is darling and smart move on the oven hood - it's perfect! Love the paint color too! :)
Post a Comment