Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Potty Time

Elmo, I apologize. I didn't used to like you, and in general I don't usually tolerate Sesame Street in my house. But I was wrong. I don't know what magical powers of persuasion you possess, but today my nearly 3 year old asked to wear his "big kid underwear pants" and at lunch, he announced that he was going to "pee in the potty like Elmo." We've been down this road before with no success. Sure big kid underwear with Lightning McQueen on it is fun to wear, and it's also fun to pee in. No pee has ever been produced in our little kid potty... until today.

After his announcement, I went in to the bathroom with Eli and helped him get situated. He chatted the entire time "Oh, I'm squeezing my tummy. I'm peeing really hard. Oh where's my yellow pee?" I never heard anything so I didn't think he'd gone, but sure enough, he DID IT! He even helped dump it in the big potty and flush! We called Grandma and Grandpa K. and left a message with Grandma and Grandpa B. Eli told them himself "I peed on my potty." What's even better, is that Brad was home for Lunch (a rarity) so he was able to participate in the joy. We high-fived, we hugged, we ate candy.

Later today there was poop and pee in the underwear, and pee on the floor to clean up, but nevertheless, there was a small potty success! I don't know if mine will be the first child completely potty trained by Elmo, but I'm willing to just let the little red guy have it from here. Thanks again Elmo for the positive peer pressure, and thanks Grandma K. for the inspirational purchase!

PS. Elmo, do you have an "Elmo Eats Vegetables" video coming out anytime soon???

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey we have watched this movie a billion times and mine was potty trained by 20 months...i'd say the movie works wonders :)

Chris and Michelle said...

Go Elmo! That is too funny! I love it. I am going to have to remember that when thinking of potty training Emmie...and seriously. Let me know if you find a "eat your dinner" one. "Eat your chicken" (or any meat) would be perfect....:)

Gavin and Ashley Curtis said...

we bought that same DVD with the hope it will work! Drew just doesn't show any interest. I personally get frustrated because all of my friend's kids that are his age were potty trained in 1 day. I love being a parent, but I can't say that this is my favorite part.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is hilarious!! Go Eli go...don't worry, he will go in the potty all too soon, and before you know it he will be married and his wife won't be able to get him out!!!!!!!!! LOL

Spencer and Audrey said...

YAY!!!... and if you ever do find the "eat your veggies" video... please share the wealth!

shelley said...

i'm right there with you. panties, potties, pee, and poop. and lots of accidents. ugh! i HATE potty training. but it has to be done. i guess... :)

good luck! go elmo and eli!

Mrs. Slabbert said...

Awesome! Way to go Eli!

Hev and Danaca said...

too funny, whatever works I will go to elmo for tips when I need to go down the potty training road I guess. !!!!