Friday, April 3, 2009

Dinner Time!

We've been eating a lot of breakfast foods for dinner lately - namely pancakes and french toast. Why? Because it is one thing that my *selective* toddler will eat with relish. And he likes to help make it too. Heaven forbid that I whisk together the eggs and pumpkin (I make healthy versions) by myself. If he even catches a glimpse of a wire whisk, he's right on top of it. It makes the clean up a little more interesting, but we're cooking up memories along with our dinner. Since I'm usually working on dinner before Brad gets home, and dinnertime happens to be a fussy time for my youngest, he gets strapped on my back for the activity.

1 "worn" baby + 1 whisking toddler + 1 disheveled mommy = good food and fun!


The other night Eli had a major sobbing tantrum just before dinner, and we soon discovered why. He inhaled most of his pancakes, but then just couldn't quite make it to the last bite. He passed out in mid-bite... completely ASLEEP sitting up with the fork halfway to his mouth!!! He sat there with his head-bobbing for a few minutes while we video-taped him. It was hi-la-ri-ous!!!! We started getting worried that he was going to hit his head on the table, so we took him up to bed. Well the stinker woke right up and wouldn't go back to sleep for another three hours... it was worth the laughs though!


YUMO:
Pumpkin Pancakes
1 C whole wheat pastry flour - 3/4 C unbleached white flour
1 Tbs baking powder - 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted)
2 tsp cinnamon -1/2 tsp ground ginger -1/4 tsp allspice - 1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1 C pureed pumpkin or winter squash
1 tsp vanilla
2 C milk
3 Tbs canola oil

Stir (and sift) together all the dry ingredients in a med. size
bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the pumpkin & vanilla.
Beat in the milk & oil until smooth. Add to flour mixture. Cook as usual! These smelled *wonderful* while cooking....like Christmas! SOURCE: "Beyond the
Moon" cookbook by Ginny Callan **Freezes Well**

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/toddlerbreakfast.htm

3 comments:

Chris and Michelle said...

That is so funny. Poor little tired Eli... I hate it when they wake up when you're trying to transfer them to their bed! Glad you could laugh about the three hour tantrum! :) We love breakfast for dinner, too! Last night we had scrambled eggs and french toast, so I had to laugh when I read the first few lines of your post. (Chris was working... he won't have anything to do with eggs...)

Glenn E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Sorry, that last comment was actually me, but I didn't realize I was posting it from Glenn's account. Anyway, that's funny about Eli. And, the recipe looks delicious- it if it something that keeps a toddler entertained while cooking it, it's something I definitely have to try!