Friday, February 13, 2009

Ice Walking

Sounds adventurous, doesn't it? It's the new extreme sport for moms and tots - walking across frozen lakes! The boys and I hung out with Amy and Stew this week, and they live right next to Pontoosuc Lake, which of course is frozen over this time of year. People drive cars, trucks, snowmobiles, and four wheelers out there on the ice, as well as ice fish. We thought we would be brave and walk the kids out to the island in the middle and back. It was actually quite a walk! Amy and I both had a baby strapped to us along with dragging a toddler, and there were several inches of slushy snow atop the ice to sludge through. We made it, enjoyed the view, and were glad to be back on solid ground. There's probably about a foot of ice on the lake, but it's still pretty nerve-wracking to think that you are walking on top of a deep body of water with little kids in tow - especially when we could see the cracks in it as well as some of the holes left by the fishermen. We thoroughly tired the kids out that day and Eli conked out on the way home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun Jeanine! It reminded me of Alaska...they do the same thing up there..drive across lakes, the crazies!

shelley said...

you are so adventurous. when it's less than 60 degrees out, i tell shaelyn it's too cold to go outside! ha! we'd never survive where you are. i can't wait for spring/summer and the weather to get warmer. i'm getting cabin fever over here!

Katie's Krazy Klan said...

Yep, it's a weird thing...I lived in MN and they drive on the lakes there too. I was always scared to do anything on the ice-because I know my luck!! I would be that 1 person who found the only thin area of ice and fell through! This has nothing to do with your posting...but you wanted to know...so I have 1 word for you-BOY. I'll leave it at that!