
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
I know, I know this one is old news. I wouldn't say I LOVED it, but I liked it enough to continue with the series. I haven't read fiction in a while, so it was a nice break. It kept my mind off my lonliness right after we moved! I think it's the highschool romance that bothers me - never was a fan of those. Plus Bella just seemed kind of pathetic through the entire thing. I actually liked her portrayal in the recent movie better than I liked her in the book. But still, a fun story. Hopefully I can read the last two books this year before our next move.
Eclipse by Stephenie MeyerThis one had me rolling my eyes about every other page with the whole teenage "my boyfriend is gone and my life is over" thing. Plus I was kind of ticked at Bella for obviously using Jacob, and I felt bad for him. It was also kind of weird to me how the story went on and on, then all of a sudden some quick adventure at the end and it was over. So, not my favorite story ever but like I said, I'm hooked enough that I need to get my hands on the next one, lol!
The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert SearsLoved it. Finally what seems like an unbiased, but comprehensive and informative source on vaccines. It goes into each one - ingredients and how it's made, possible side effects, possible controversy, as well as incidence and risks of the diseases they prevent. And it's well organized and EASY to read. A must read for any parent whether you vax, don't vax, or do an alternative schedule.
Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood by Jim and Charles FayI found a lot of helpful information in here, but didn't love it as I have heard many people do. Just goes to show that individual parenting styles can't always fit 100% into some perfect method. Though it's touted as the answer for birth to age six, I really can't personally see using many of the techniques until at least age 5 (like the energy drain etc) ... but it could just be my style or it could be my toddler's development and level of comprehension. It takes a pretty authoritative view which is not necessarily bad, but I tend to lean a lot more towards attachment based philosophies. I think it could have used a lot more specific advice and ideas on logical consequences for kids under 3. It mentions removing them from the situation or re-directing them - well duh I figured that one out all by myself =). Still it at least got me thinking and evaluating my parenting style more and made me realize that I need a little bit more strategy in my approach to toddlerhood... I just have to figure out what that is! One thing that I have incorporated is the suggestion to give power-craving toddlers choices in everything you can think of (not "do you want to get dressed" but "which shirt do you want to wear" etc). It really does wonders for Eli... no more battles with food. It's not "do you want to eat" it's "which bite do you want" and "do you want a shark bite or a whale bite" lol. It helps the little guys feel like they have some control in their lives, and they aren't fighting you over everything (eg. not "do you want a bath" but "which toy do you want to take to your bath"). See, thinking of choices is fun! =)
Pushed by Jennifer BlockTwo of my good friends have posted excellent and thoughtful reviews of this book. You can read Liz's or Bridget's for intelligent thoughts about it. I'll say this - LOVED it. My favorite book of 2008 - a MUST READ for any woman who has birthed/plans to give birth whether you want medicated or natural, hospital or home. Finally, a well-researched, fact based look at modern birth options. Even a man could read this, lol. Ladies, birth is the final frontier of women's rights here! It has been totally ignored and for the most part is controlled by people other than YOU. Lets take back our bodies and our births, gals!
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May GaskinA fabulous birth preparation book by the leading midwife in America. Also a favorite and MUST read for any woman - whether you plan to have your first or your fifth! The first half is full of inspiring birth stories, written by the women who had them. The second half is a wonderful guide to prepare you for a healthy and fulfilling birth.... miles and miles above the "What to Expect" type books.

Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent
An interesting tale of a midwife's career from her days as a student nurse in a hospital when women were strapped down against their will and knocked unconcious for delivery, to her days as a home birth attending midwife, to attending deliveries in a large hospital. It's told from her perspective and reads like an adventure! Lots of exciting and inspiring birth stories (as well as a few sad). A great read if you like to read about birth, and gives a bit of a historical perspective and a look at the evolution of birth in the US.
Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie F. MonganExplains the hypnobirthing method of relaxation and visualisation during childbirth. I thought there were some great ideas and tools in here, but didn't really use them for my birth. It would have helped me to take the class. I felt more comfortable with some of the Bradley Method that I practiced with Eli, mostly because it was familiar. I might re-visit the idea of hypnobirthing in the future if I'm able to attend a class. If you are self-motivated and have a partner would would be avaialble and willing to practice the techniques in here, I think it has the potential to be very helpful for natural birth, or even just for the beginning of your birth if you are planning on pain meds. Pretty easy to read, and also seems like it would be great for relaxation in general.
So there you have it... my 2008 reads! Anyone else love or hate any of the above? I'm sure most of you have out-read me this past year, so mostly this post is to inspire myself to keep trying to expand my tired brain =).


7 comments:
It seems we read the same types of books... :) I cannot wait to read BabyCatcher, and Ina May's book was awesome, of course. Man. I love birth books!
i'm impressed you read all those baby books. lately i've been a fiction only kind of girl. the only non-fictions i read are related to my gospel doctrine lessons. but then of course i eat them up.
i have no recommendations for you. i just read the same books over and over again it seems. but i did read mormon scientist this year and loved it. i think you would like it too. non fiction, but inspiring and very full of info.
Awesome books. Baby catcher is one of my favorites.
I'll have to check out that vaccine book...
I'm not much of a reader these days...but I did manage to read the whole Twilight serious a few weeks ago-I loved them, but that kind of book is totally my kind of thing. This is completely off the subject-but it was so fun to see you guys recently and to see how your little family is growing! Your kids are getting big and before you know it you'll be having another! By the way, my appt to find out the baby's sex is on the 10th of Feb.Just thought I'd keep you posted, I'll make sure to post something on my blog so you know. Hope all is well and you'll be able to adjust when you're back home!
I am totally excited to read the vaccine book. It's been a challenge finging a pediatrician that has accepted our decision not to vaccinate, so we finally found a family practioner and LOVE him.
Ashley
I need to start reading more again, so thanks for inspiring me to do so! I really do like to, I'm just so tired at the end of the day that I don't make time for it! I got almost 3/4 through Twilight several months back, but got soooo bored with it that I had to stop! (Like you said about the 2nd one, I was rolling my eyes every other page) I'm trying to force myself to pick it up and finish it... apparently I stopped right before the "really good part". Whatever. I need to just finish it and see if any of this hype is validated or not...:) Then I can see the movie, too! I need to read the Love and Logic one you mentioned... I just started their regular one and am liking it so far. I didn't know they had one specifically for the earlier years. I might have to check out Baby Catchers, too!
Thanks for the review! What a fun idea!
Love your family pictures! Looks like you had a great time in Utah...wish we could have seen you guys but things get crazy when you try to fit everything in. Your boys are so cute! Hey, your sisters husband is from South Africa? What part? That is where my grandma is from. Hope you are enjoying your time in Arizona. And don't worry you may not have out read your friend last year but you sure out read me...all I've read the last year are cardboard books! :)
Post a Comment