14 years ago
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
La Leche League
So I'm fessing up to another "hippy mama" activity, lol. I mentioned there were not many young mothers in my ward out here, and I really need to socialize with other moms for my sanity. So I started attending La Leche League meetings and I have to say, they are COOL! Do not be afraid to attend one if you are curious, just want to meet some interesting people, or have a problem you need help/support with. Here is the website if you want to find a group near you. I wish I had gone when Eli was a baby (you can go even before your baby is born). It is really helpful to meet with a whole group of like-minded moms and share stories and support. We talk about all kinds of things too (not just breastfeeding all night) like nutrition and toddlers etc. It's funny, today at the library I recognized the librarian in the children's section from the meeting, and another young mother there with her newborn - so we all chatted for a bit. From LLL I also found out about a "Birth Circle" group that meets and have started attending that as well. It's pregnant mamas, and other women who support natural birthing and the midwifery model of care who get together and talk about birth stories, answer questions, discuss birth stuff, and maybe even watch some natural birth films. Totally cool, totally up my ally, and actually really helpful! If you are a pregnant mama, I HIGHLY suggest the book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth no matter where/how you intend to birth. A much more positive, empowering, and natural approach to pregnancy and birth than the What to Expect books. Oh that and Hypnobirthing (which I'm trying to read right now). I also found out about some playgroups in the area from the other moms, so we'll have to check those out. Anyway, that's my blurb for the day! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You're so cute Nine! Way to get out there and get involved.
Ooh, I've read both of those books and HIGHLY recommend them. Another couple I recommend - "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" (can't remember who wrote it) and "Birth! The surprising history of how we're born" by Tina Cassidy. As you might've guessed, I love the hypnobirthing book. :) There's so much everyday application to it, not to mention the birth stuff.
There is an entire chapter of LLL in my apartment complex (married grad students with kids). Crazy, no?
hippy mama! i would expect no less. i think it's great. do you follow anyone else's blogs that i know? i saw that your sister has a blog and i'm happy that she looks so happy.
email me and tell me who else to check out at shelleyaagard[at]gmail[dot]com.
ps - how did you get that "i belong" link on your sidebar? i want it on my blog too.
I am proud to also be a HIPPY MOMMA!! --Chiropractic Health, Baby Wearing, Natural Childbirth and Using Midwives...life just does NOT get any better!! You go girl!!
Post a Comment