Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Great Grandparents and Temple Square

Another Utah highlight was visiting Brad's grandparents (and the kids' great-grandparents!). It was the first time in a long time that we've been over there with just our little family for a quiet visit, and it was lovely! Mimi and Papa as they are called, have an exciting basket of toys that kept the boys busy - and of course the enjoyed trying out Mimi's wheelchair (a temporary fixture as she recovers from foot surgery).

We had some good long family history discussions, which really has me fascinated right now. They have some family books I would love to sit down and spend a few hours with, and we found out some really interesting things about Grandpa and Grandma Goodrich, as well as their heritage. One ancestor in particular is George Washington Taggart, who was the first to join the Mormon church on Grandpa's side... back in the 1800's when Joseph Smith was alive. We learned that he and his young wife moved to Nauvoo, where she died when their first child was one year old. He worked on building the original Nauvoo Temple and would bring his baby daughter with him in a wheelbarrow while he worked. He also served in the Mormon Battalion, and played the fife as an officer. He remarried and eventually made his way to Salt Lake City, where he also worked on the Salt Lake Temple. I have always loved Temple Square - it was one of my favorite summer trips as a child, and of course now that Brad and I were married there. But knowing the personal stories of one of our ancestors who actually worked on it makes it even more meaningful to visit. I really want to learn all I can about our family heritage (on both sides) to pass down to my children - I think it really helps to feel more grounded and to find meaning in life when we feel connected to the earth through generations past.

Anyway, we sure loved the visit!


And of course we went to the Salt Lake Temple to walk around for a bit on our way back up to Morgan.










3 comments:

Julie said...

What a fun trip! Where do you find all those matching clothes for the boys? They are seriously matching in almost every picture!

Jeanerbee said...

Haha. They only have a few that match exactly - this was vacation so of course I brought the matching ones! Hence the high concentration of matching photos. I do admit to trying on purpose to coordinate their other outfits though... so even though they don't match exactly, they "go." I know, I know. You should see the way I hang their closets... it's my secret OCD!

Julie said...

Very funny. That is so you! I, on the other hand, let Derek and Evan pick their own clothes and am just glad if my boys are dressed. So most days, Derek doesn't even match himself! It is always fun to see them when they are dressed well though.

Your boys look so cute!