Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tadpoles

It seems with the warmer Spring weather we are more motivated to get out and do things - hence I take more pictures and need to get in gear with my blogging!

This week for FHE (Family Home Evening- Monday nights are set aside to spend time together and to teach our children morals/manners/Gospel principles/family history etc, and to have FUN) we went to a park near our house to catch tadpoles. The boys and I had seen them earlier in the day on a walk, so we brought along the small fishnet we have, a pretend fishing pole, and a canning jar to see what we could capture. We talked about the beautiful world that Heavenly Father and Jesus made for us - Eli especially likes to tell us about how "Jesus made the Earth" and that we "live on the Earth." We sang some songs in the car and then set off into the mud! There were hundreds of little tiny tadpoles swimming around just near the shore, as well as big fat ones just resting on the bottom, trying to blend in with the mud. The boys had a BLAST, and Brad and I enjoyed watching their carefree adventure. I've never seen two boys happier for two straight hours! They were freaked out at first by the sight of the giant, slimy tadpoles squirming around in the net... but they soon caught onto the fun and wanted me to catch more and more! They even tried their own hands at it. We thought about taking the little tadpoles home and trying to raise them, but we decided just to release them afterall. I guess we aren't quite ready for the work of "pets" again =).

"Fishing" for Tadpoles



Giant Tadpole

Temporary Aquarium

Boys+Rocks+Water = Inevitable Rock Throwing
Our Stalker - this cat wouldn't go away!

Mystery Track: HUGE paw with big CLAWS

4 comments:

Spencer and Audrey said...

Looks like fun! Being a mom of boys has strengthened your stomach. I remember a certain spider incident at girls camp that had us all squirming... although he didn't have much chance against your flashlight!!! My guess is that it's maybe a raccoon print?

Jeanerbee said...

Teehee... I STILL don't like spiders! This print is wayyyy too big to be a raccoon though... it was as big as the top half of my foot (black shoes in picture are mine).

Hev and Danaca said...

looks so fun!! I love spring too for the fun outdoor's It is so fun to have the boys together so they can have the fun rock throwing and tadpoll catching together

Mrs. Slabbert said...

I'm guessing Rottweiler... And the boys can feed my frogs when they are here, that will be fun :)