Friday, October 30, 2009

Gifts

So I turned 29 this week. I haven't really been looking forward to 29 ... it feels kind of like the beginning of the END ... the end of youth, or the end of the 20's anyway. I used to think only *old* people reminisced about "where time has gone," and now I feel that exact same way. I have now known my husband for nearly a third of my life, I have as many kids as my parents had, I've got a mortgage and bills and... well now I'm just sounding like a country song! I feel like all the major milestones that I dreamed of in my youth have been attained - college, marriage, kids ... so what now? Retirement? Lol. I still have goals, they just seem a little less life changing - become a better mother to my kids, keep my marriage strong, keep learning and figuring out what I want to "be" when I "grow up." =)

As for the festivities, Brad and I were able to go out to dinner ALONE, thanks to a wonderful friend in the ward who offered to watch our kids. It has been exactly ONE YEAR since we have been out on a date alone - for my last birthday! We had both forgotten what it was like to sit down to a nice meal in peace and calm. It was wonderful. We actually went out the night before because Brad had a work meeting the night of my actual b-day, though he was able to come home for dinner and to have cake with me and the kids - yummy banana cake that he made himself! Eli sang the entire bday song to me all on his own - it was so sweet! Though we did have to sing to him and let him blow the candles out too =).

The next night I went for a Girls' Night Out with some ladies in the ward and we had dinner. I haven't really gone to dinner with friends since who knows when either, so that was also nice. While there, someone asked me "So what did you GET?" (meaning for my bday). At first I felt a little sheepish and mumbled something about "um, er, we decided not to do presents this year, er, uh..." But it really got me thinking about the true GIFTS that I enjoy! The beautiful birthday song from my son, the thoughtful cake from my hubby and the pleasant night out together (he did get me some beautiful orange roses by the way!), the phone calls from two of my dearest life long friends, my parents singing to me over the phone, the package from my mommy who always makes me feel special, the card from my grandma, the chat with my sister... basically connecting and reconnecting with people I love and who love me back! I realized that being loved and remembered are truly the best gifts, and I'm so lucky to have received them this year!

And now for a fun little "before and after." Losing a lot of babyweight is a nice gift too, haha. Owen's is gone, but I'm still working on Eli's! Lol! The saying should be "nine months to put it on, 3 years to take it off!"

Last year's B-day:
This Year (cute shirt from my Mommy):

9 comments:

shelley said...

you look GREAT!!! happy birthday. and yay for your great gifts. they are better than anything bought at the store, anyway.

and i'm with you on hitting the big "milestones" - i guess our big milestones now will be the ones we hit with our kids. kindergarten, high school, (gulp) college...

Heidi Crosby said...

Hot mama! I dream of taking before and after pictures that show real progress. But I can't seem to feel like I've arrived at "after" yet. Someday...

Your post made me think, feel and even cry. You are so right about gifts. You are one of my best friends ever, Jeanine! Thanks for all the advice and good times! I love you!

Anonymous said...

What a lil model! lol You are darling both preggers and not! totally off the subject, but I wanted to know your tidbits on nursing...lol, my baby is 15 months and shows no signs of wanting to stop, she's never taken the bottle and I wonder if that's part of it! I know you are a big supporter of that and I would love your opinions! She still nurses like 5 times a day! :0) AND wakes up at least once, eek.

The Maughan's said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You look amazing!! You look beautiful prego and not prego!! So cute!!I hope you had a fantastic day!!

Chris and Michelle said...

Oh, what a sweet post!!! Happy Birthday, Hot Mamma! You are looking GREAT, Jeanine! I'm glad you had a good birthday and that you had the opportunity to 'reminisce' about already achieving so many dreams at just 29 and to think about the 'true' gifts in life. Very sweet post!
Don't worry - I hit the big 3-0 last month and it didn't even hurt! :) Enjoy your last year of twenties, girl!

Carly said...

Happy birthday! You look so HOT in that new shirt! Hope you had a great birthday!

Julie said...

Wow- what a good looking mama! I hope I look half that good when this next baby turns one! Getting older is definitely a positive thing when you look cuter every year!

I'm glad you had a good birthday!

Emily said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I'm sorry I didn't call on your birthday, I guess we were still recovery mode from being sick. I'm glad you had a nice birthday! You look FABULOUS! And I love the new kitchen walls!

Ps: I LOVED your kids costumes this year! Such a great idea!

Mrs. Slabbert said...

Damn, you skinny! You look awesome!