In their frantic search for a mate, these pesky critters SCREECH all day long... and since there are HOARDS and HOARDS of them, it's almost deafening to go outside in the afternoons. Your ears will literally be ringing if you get too close to the trees. Thankfully these things don't bite, or destroy crops, because there are BILLIONS of them. They mainly like to stick near the trees in hopes of finding that special someone, but there are so many trying to get a spot that they swarm around everywhere - crash landing on anything in their path (ie. your face, hair, clothing etc). Heaven forbid one zoom right by your ear, as it sounds like a mini high pitched helicopter!



Owen was TERRIFIED of them at first, but he's getting a little braver. Today we played "keep away from the cicadas" and "shoot the cicadas with a hose" out in the backyard. All went well until one landed right on Owen's ear. That was the end of that! Although interesting for a few days, their ever increasing numbers and aggressive crash landings on our persons has me looking forward to their disappearance in a few weeks! I can definitely say it is a good thing they did not appear our first summer here... at least I've had a little while to adjust to having more/bigger bugs out here. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to moving West. Anywhere. Just away from humidity/tornadoes/BUGS! Photos and video just do not do these things true justice, but at least you get the idea (and forgive the jerkiness of the video - I was literally dodging them and swiping them off me while I was shooting).


8 comments:
WOAH. That is an intense sound. What a freaky thing to go through! Good luck.
You're alive... YAY!!!! Spencer thought something was wrong with the computer when I played your video.
I remember a smaller version of them in AZ a few times (15 yr cycle I think?) while growing up there. I remember liking the noise when I was little... but it was NOTHING like what you're going through... CRAZY!!!
Here's to you moving closer soon, too!!!!
ummm.... i don't think i'd be going outside until they were gone. that is disgusting!!!
we grew up with cicadas in florida, but they were out all the time and never swarmed like that. you could hear them, but only at night, and you couldn't see them. plus, if you ever did see them, they were not that BIG!
you just learned to fall asleep to the cicada noise at night - it was like a nice sound machine.
those are FREAKY!!!
... and I love your new blog header pic!
Are you kidding me?! Those are disgusting. That is so crazy. My kids freak out over nats and flies (mostly Emmie)and they FREAK over bees... I don't think we'd survive out there. I hope they're gone real soon!
& I'm glad to see that you're still alive! How are you? We need to catch up! At least more posts please on what you're up to. Is it next year that you move? I've been worrying about you guys with all the crazy weather out there. I hope all is well. Give us a ring if you find yourselves out this way with any extra time! :)
That is crazy! I grew up with the background buzz of cicadas in MN, but nothing this intense. We could only hear them, not see them, and certainly not FEEL them! Yikes! How do you guys even go outside? Well, glad you're having adventures anyway. Hope you're all well.
you were smart/brave enough to capture a picture of them. i just ran as fast as i could away from them when outside which meant i wasn't outside too much :) and i'm SOOOO with you on moving back west. ugh, missouri is not my cup of tea
Those are worse than the flying ants in my kitchen the year we were in MA. I don't know that I would be able to go outside for more than a few minutes the sound is deafening and very annoying. Hang in there!!!
I need to update my blog we will be moving in a couple of weeks to Minot, North Dakota. Sean got a job at the hospital there. If we can find somewhere to live we will be excited.
Glad to hear you are almost done with residency.
Post a Comment