Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Little Moose

Owen had his six month check yesterday, and according to our favorite doctor in the whole world (besides Brad), he is a "MOOSE." Actually, he weighs less than I was expecting, LOL. At 22+ pounds and 29" long, he is the length of a 10 month old and weight of a 12 month old. Really? That's ALL? Cuz he's in 18 month clothes and stretching them out.... Anyway, we love our little "chunka," and we especially love to squeeze and cuddle and kiss him!

Dear Owen,

I CAN NOT believe that you are SIX MONTHS old already! Your babyhood is flying by so quickly, that I feel this desperate need to take pictures of you every day and hug and kiss you every second because you are growing up too fast. You have brought so much joy to our family that we can't even remember what it was like to not have you here. Sometimes the greatest blessings in life can't be anticipated or planned.

Recently you have started saying "dadadada!"which gets Daddy hopping to do your bidding, even though you don't yet know what you are saying. You also blow raspberries from your lips that get us all laughing. You finally started rolling over last week, and can shriek with excitement louder than anyone. You LOVE being outside and will be content for hours to sit in your little play center out there watching birds, cars, and your big brother. I just have to be on guard that he doesn't throw rocks at you, because you both think this is funny for some crazy reason.

This week you also started (melt my heart) REACHING for me! There can not be a better moment for a mom. I love it when you go into "baby attack" mode or stare me down when you want to nurse. You are sleeping pretty well at night - except for the fact that Eli comes in and wakes us ALL up every night with his shenanigans. Your favorite place to snooze is still tucked right up next to me or Daddy, so you wake up several times in the early evening until one of us finally gives in and comes to bed with you.

As for food...Oh the FOOD! You ARE. A. FAN! Hooray! You ACTUALLY like food, and are in fact, obsessed already! I'm usually strict about certain "baby rules" but you have been sneaking food since well before the six month mark. You will throw a baby tantrum if any of us have something you want and we don't get it to you fast enough. Your FAVORITE is avocado, and you have also enjoyed banana, brown rice, oatmeal, bread crust, animal crackers, and pure maple syrup. Dad and I LOVE watching you eat, and get a kick out of your efforts to spoon feed yourself already.

You still have a grab reflex that is quick as lightning. You will snatch anything and everything from us, which has led to several papercuts. It usually elicits some heavy duty opposition from Eli when you snatch his toys though. We've had to break up some fights between you two already. I have no doubt that you will be able to stand up for yourself in no time at all. Usually the two of you get along great though, and when you both get to giggling hysterically at each other, I can't help but join in the laughter. You much prefer remote controls, phones, silverware, and big boy toys to any baby toy. Your favorite is a giant Tonka truck that is bigger than you are!

The last patch of your dark newborn hair has been replaced with a full silky blondedness. Your huge blue eyes are noted by everyone who sees you, and your chunky goodness is irresistable! I have to lift up your chins to wash your neck, as well as search through rolls to find your armpits and thighs at bathtime. We love every inch of you and your sparkling personality! Thanks for joining our family, and try not to grow up too fast!

Love,
Mom

PS - I can't believe I got this typed today ... you got 3 shots yesterday and woke up with a cold this morning so you have been extra cranky and haven't let me out of your sight to even get a drink or snack ... you are "helping" me type this ... we stayed in our jammies today and watched Free Willey with Eli =).

3 comments:

Chris and Michelle said...

Jeanine, that was the most precious post! YOur kids are going to love being able to look back and read the the detailed journaling you make about them. I love it! Watching your kids interact together is really the best, don't you think? I just love having two kids. I so wish you were closeby so that we could get together and enjoy this mommyhood thing together, but I am so glad that I get to keep in touch with you this way as I totally relate to your sweet blog posts. The squeezing between the rolls and underneat the double chins to get everything clean during bathtime totally made me laugh. I can so relate with Emmie!
YOur boys are so cute and I'm so glad they are enjoying their time as brothers. I say we should for sure try and have Emmie date a Benson boy in 21 years or so... :)
Love ya! :)

Wade Family said...

Loved that post...what a great idea! Owen is growing up so fast. I have to admit I was shocked when I saw him eating a banana. It's funny how we change after our first. You guys have traveled a ton and seen some awesome sites this last year...when do you begin the whole moving thing?

Britt said...

Jeanine! He is so darling! Really, what a cute little guy. For the all the chunka-munka he is so stinkin' adorable! How fun for you guys. We are going through very similar things here with our Coy boy. The only difference is he is our little squirt weighing in at a smallish 16 lbs. His babyhood is going way too fast as well and I feel a desperate need also to soak him up as much as I can. A lot of things are getting put on the back burner these days so I can have some "Coy time." Great post!