But before I start sounding too negative, I also have to admit that there have been plenty of great moments too. I am so pleased that Eli has not been aggressive at all towards the baby. Jealous, yes. He will often insist that Brad hold the baby so that he can have some mom time. It goes like this "Dada! Baby!" while pointing back and forth between them. Or he will state his inner desires simply with "Bye bye baby, ah gah (all gone) baby." This really cracks me up. After the first week of Eli's ambivalence though, he has discovered Owen as a source of entertainment, which is both good and bad. Good because I can see them developing a bond already, but bad because now I have to be on constant guard to ensure no mortal injury befalls my newborn because my toddler is "playing" with him. Eli likes to try and hold Owen, and laughs hysterically when Owen does the newborn flail because Eli thinks he's trying to play with him. This usually elicits rougher play from Eli so I have to watch out. This makes escaping for potty breaks tricky for me, lol.
Another fabulous blessing has been how we have lucked out with Brad's schedule. He has ended up being home a lot more than we anticipated, which has really helped my sanity, and helped Eli alot as well. Brad is still putting him to bed at night, but even after three weeks there are nights when Eli still just cries for me. Whether or not I can actually help him depends on if Owen is nursing or not. So yes, there's still a great deal of adjusting for all of us to do, but thankfully we've got Brad here as a full participant in the process.
In other news, Eli is learning how to use adjectives. His favorite right now is "BIG." It's so heartwarming to enter a room and have your toddler enthusiastically shout "BIIIIG Mama!" He also shrieks "BIIIIIG Dada" when Brad comes home, and sometimes just chatters about his big family: "BIIIIG mama, BIIIIG Dada, BIIIIIG Baby" while pointing to each of us... then he usually throws in a "BIIIIG Way-o (whale)" which granted, the whales are his favorite toys right now but it's not so flattering to be grouped in with them. Speaking of whales though, (no offense Owen) my baby is chunking up quite nicely. At two weeks he was already up to 10lbs 2oz (born at 9lbs) and now at just over 3 weeks his 0-3 month clothes are getting too small. He is going to be even bigger than Eli was, and he was quite the butterball! What can I say? Mommy's milk is nummy! =) Ok here is some photo proof of our happier moments.
Brotherly LOVE:
Watching "Blue Planet" documentary about the ocean - thankfully it sometimes puts him to sleep:


9 comments:
darling darling, I have been waiting for a post from you all week, believe me with 4 lil' ones I KNOW how the week goes! lol The boys are precious and you are doing a great job I can tell, keep it up and my thoughts are with you, I LOVVVED the shot of Eli going to sleep watching the ocean scenes...priceless. I will be thinking of you at night when I am up with the baby, I will think to myself, hey, Jeanine is up too, I'm not alone! :0) Miss you!
I totally hear you on the "so sleep deprived I can't be nice to my toddler" feeling. I feel so bad for Anna on a regular basis. While I know I need to work harder on making sure that I am more patient, all I can do right now is make sure that I tell her I love her as often as I can when I'm not peeved. Good luck, Nine!
They are SO CUTE! And it's an interesting adjustment, no? I can almost guarantee that it gets easier, although it's always different. I often feel like I'm neglecting one while I'm taking care of the other, but I figure it's good for them to learn to wait and take turns. Now if I could just get showered and ready on a daily basis!! Ha. :)
Cute pictures. Yes, things are crazy for a few months...but I promise that it gets better! I can't believe how dark Owen looks compared to Eli.....then again...look who's talking-MRS Pasty woman of the world!! Hope all continues to go well and things just get easier and easier.
Jeanine, they are SOOOO sweet! It brings back memories of my first two boys! The good times definately out-way the bad! They will be best-buddies forever! Keep up the good work!
Oh, Honey! I Feel for you! The whole switch-hitting with the crying drives me crazy... and in a sense, it actually never goes away. This behavior just moves from crying to "stages"... one child will be horrible and one will be good and happy, then one day all will be good, then the next day they will have switched rolls! I don't get it!?!?! Even with three kids, this still happens all the time... it's like they have secret meetings together during playtime about who is going to be in charge of hassling Mom or Dad in this area or that!
Getting more sleep will eventually come, but, yes, it does add quite a bit of stress for as long as it continues. Don't be too hard on yourself (easier said than done) about being and feeling like a cranky mom... you are NOT the first.
Adding a new person and personality to a family is always a huge learning curve... but you will soon get back to what seems normal. However, getting "back to normal" requires sacrifice... mostly on your part. Even though I am a "type A" person, I am soooo far from what I used to be. Learning to be more flexible is something that I was VERY compelled to do... didn't really happen at will... BUT IT'S A GOOD THING!
Just remember, many mothers of multiples have been where you are (and are still there) and are pulling for you! I wish we lived closer to just take your little ones for a while to let you sleep or bathe or eat or veg. You will survive! Love ya, BABE!
thanks for keeping it real and going through this first! so i know i can survive it too! be looking for a call from me this week - michael's going out of town and i'll be lonely. but please let it go to voicemail if you're in the middle of something (ie: SLEEP!!!) talk to you soon!
Who has the cutest nephews in the world? Oh that's right. I do. :) Thanks for the pictures! The boys are adorable. I love Eli's big smiles.
Oh Jeanine! I'm so sorry for all the craziness! I so hear you on the "I'm so out of patience" with my 2 year old cry. I've lucked out with a very mellow newborn, but I still find my days hard balancing the two and often wonder how in the world I'd do it if Emmie were more demanding. My 2 year old is definitely the hard one these days... as you saw on my blog, his jealousy finally emerged recently as Emmie hit 3 months and it's been rough ever since! Going out with them in public by myself is a joke because Parker screams and cries to be held and wants me to "put baby down"... So I feel bad for you that you've been experiencing this from day 1! You're such a great Mom Jeanine - hang in there and it will get better. You are hilarious with your last paragraph about Eli's newfound adjective "big". So funny especially because it's so not true. I love it. Your boys are simply adorable and it will be so worth it in another year when they are entertaining each OTHER, leaving you with more "bathroom" time by yourself...:) That's how it's SUPPOSED to be anyways, right?
Post a Comment