We made the 3 hour trek up to Sharon, VT this month to visit Joseph Smith's birthplace. There is no longer an actual house there, but there's a visitor center, a memorial, and some old foundations of the homes of his relatives on the property. It was incredibly gorgeous and peaceful there. Our tour guides were an older missionary couple and they were so sweet. Eli's favorite part of the trip was riding on the golf cart through the woods.
We got to pass by an old stone bridge from the 1800s which still spans the stream, as well as the old stone wall that lined what was the "freeway" back then. After our tour, we headed up to nearby Tunbridge (where Joseph Smith's parents met) and stopped at the country store for some delightful grub. The owner was French (probably Canandian?) and he ran the store, and cooked the food. We had the most delicious "crispy cheesecake" - it was cheesecake wrapped in a fried thin pastry and topped with cinnamon and sugar. Yum, yum, yum.... I just can't get over how SMALL all these towns in VT are that we drove through. There were bustling farmer's markets in just about every town we drove through as well.


3 comments:
Was Lovers Lane near the junction of Rt 7 and 17? By New Haven? Because if so, that's on the bus route I took to my midwife appointments. I always thought it was a funny road name, too.
We wanted to make it to Sharon while we were in Middlebury, but as you can imagine, it just didn't happen. I'm glad to see your pictures of it, at least.
There must be more than one Lover's lane in Vermont! This one was south of Sharon =).
How fun! I love that you took a picture of you guys kissing under the sign. Too cute!
Post a Comment